Special Cat in the Hat Edition!
Join the Arkansas Educational Television Network and Read Across America in a celebration of Dr. Seuss's Birthday with the two-hour Cat in the Hat-A-Thon beginning Friday, March 2, at 7 a.m. on AETN.
The Cat in the Hat-A-Thon celebrates the National Education Association's Read Across America initiative, an annual motivation and awareness program that calls for every child in every community to celebrate reading on March 2, the birthday of Dr. Seuss. The Cat in the Hat-A-Thon features four episodes of "The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!" that are designed to spark a love of learning and an interest in science in young children.
Listed below are links to resources designed to cultivate positive views about science and scientists among the next generation, including classroom guides, activity sheets and curriculum ideas.
Cat in the Hat Resources from the National Education Association:
- Read Across America Dr. Suess Classroom Activity Guide - An 8-page guide packed with great ideas for classroom and community activities.
- The Lorax Activity Book -This activity book helps students track their impact on the environment.
- The Lorax Sticker Sheet - A set of stickers with friendly Lorax reminders about the importance of conservation.
- REA Certificate of Seussational Achievement - Award this certificate to students who take part in your reading event.
- REA Certificate of Appreciation - Award this certificate to faculty and adults who help with your reading event.
- REA Reader's Oath
Cat in the Hat Resources from PBS Teachers:
- The Cat in the Hat's Science Bookshelf - A set of books based on "The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!" series that introduces science learning into story time.
- "The Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!" Explorer's Guide teacher resource - Curriculum and tips on how to get young students excited about science and the world around them.
- Cat in the Hat Resources from PBS Parents - Information on "Cat in the Hat Knows a Lot About That!" activities, books and other resources.