AETN hosts annual Quiz Bowl state finals Saturday, April 28
Posted on 24 Apr 2012
High school students will showcase their intellect in the annual Arkansas Governors Academic Competition at AETN Saturday, April 28, in Arkansas Quiz Bowl 2012" and will be broadcast on Saturday in two sections 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. The finals will involve seven conferences for a total of 14 teams.
The first round of matches beginning at 10 a.m. will include in order of appearance:
1. 2A Gurdon vs. Cedar Ridge (Newark)
2. 7A Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences and the Arts (Hot Springs) vs. Conway
3. 4A Nashville vs. Subiaco Academy
4. 5A Watson Chapel (Pine Bluff) vs. Huntsville
The second round of matches beginning at 2 p.m. will include in order of appearance:
1. 3A Episcopal Collegiate (Little Rock) vs. Centerpoint (Amity)
2. 6A Benton vs. Parkview Arts Science Magnet (Little Rock)
3. 1A eStem Public Charter (Little Rock) vs. Haas Hall Academy (Fayetteville)
The public is invited to be a part of the audience at the AETN studios and will be seated on a first come, first served basis. Spectators will be admitted via the Sesame Street entrance and should arrive no later than 9:30 a.m. for the early round and 1:30 p.m. for the later round.
Quiz Bowl is a celebration and recognition of scholarship that has been an AETN tradition since 1985. In a series of questions, players must display their knowledge in literature, math, science, history, art, music and economics. Teams from across the state compete for the chance to represent the Natural State in national tournaments.
All games are broadcast from AETN, and scholarship money will be awarded.
The Arkansas Governors Quiz Bowl Association
holds regional tournaments around the state during March. Teams are assigned to a site, and a random drawing places the teams on the pairing schedule. A percentage of teams in the tournament advance to the state tournament. The top two teams from each classification advance to the State Conference Finals.