AETN Family Day 2011
AETN Family Day will be held at the network headquarters in Conway, 350 South Donaghey Avenue. The event is free and open to the public. The event will be held regardless of weather conditions.
Public service initiatives launching at Family Day include:
- "Martha Speaks" Shelter Dog Campaign. Attendees are encouraged to donate pet food for shelter animals.
- Sesame Workshop Growing Hope Against Hunger food drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate boxed and canned goods for food banks in Central Arkansas.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Sweater Drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently used sweaters for families in need as cooler weather approaches.
The first 300 families who donate to one of these causes will receive thank you gifts from AETN. Donations are not required to participate in Family Day activities.
The Martha Speaks Shelter Dog Campaign focuses on humane education, pet adoption, and responsible pet ownership. The new season of "Martha Speaks" premieres Oct. 3, and focuses on these issues. The series also recognizes National Animal Shelter Appreciation Week Nov. 6-12. Cruelty to animals, homelessness, and related problems are prevalent in our society. For example, an estimated 6 to 8 million homeless dogs and cats enter animal shelters every year and fewer than half are adopted. The Shelter Dog Campaign is intended to help raise awareness about these issues and mobilize communities to take action. Since its premiere in 2008, Martha Speaks has become one of the most popular children’s television series, and the shows often incorporate important issues such as pet adoption and animal safety.
AETN is conducting a food drive in conjunction with Sesame Workshop’s "Growing Hope Against Hunger" primetime special premiering Sunday, Oct. 9, at 7 p.m. Donations of boxed and canned goods for food banks are being accepted at locations across Central Arkansas. "Growing Hope Against Hunger," which is made possible by the generous support of the Walmart Foundation, features Brad Paisley, Kimberly Williams Paisley, and the "Sesame Street" Muppets to raise awareness of the widespread issue of hunger in the United States. It provides simple, empowering strategies to families who aren’t sure where their next meal will come from – and to others who want to help.
AETN is also proud to partner with the Salvation Army to bring the Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood Sweater Drive back to the state. Donations of new or gently worn sweaters for families in need as cooler weather approaches are being accepted at various sites in Central Arkansas. The sweater drive is a tribute to Fred Rogers and his example of being a caring neighbor. All of Fred Rogers’ original sweaters were knitted by his mother.
The Sesame Workshop Growing Hope Against Hunger food drive and Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood Sweater drive will continue through Nov. 1. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AETN Family Day Conway 2011 is sponsored in part by the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce.
Enjoy these activities throughout the day
- PBS KIDS characters Clifford the Big Red Dog, WordGirl, Super WHY! superheroes, The Cat in the Hat
- AETN production truck demonstrations and tours
- "Martha Speaks" Shelter Dog Campaign pet food drive
- Sesame Workshop Growing Hope Against Hunger food drive
- "Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood" Sweater Drive
- Interactive PBS KIDS exhibit in the AETN atrium
- Arkansas Arts Center 2011-2012 Artmobile Exhibition and 18 pieces from the Young Arkansas Artists exhibition
- Building tours
- Story time
- Career education
- Education services
- Face painting
- Arts & crafts
- Sidewalk chalk
- Rescue vehicles
- Door prizes
Schedule of Activities
PBS KIDS costume parade to Sesame Street dedication
Sesame Street dedication
Nature walks with Chuck Dovish, host of AETN’s "Exploring Arkansas"
1:30 p.m. & 3:00 p.m.
AETN Production Team Storytelling Workshops
10:00 a.m. & 2:00 p.m.
UCA Basketball Team
Noon to 2:00 p.m.
Pet care with Clifford