AETN Family Day
AETN Family Day Conway 2013 will be held at the network headquarters, 350 South Donaghey Avenue, Saturday, Sept. 14, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. The event will be held regardless of weather conditions.
Community service drives to be held at Family Day include:
- "Martha Speaks" Shelter Dog Campaign. Attendees are encouraged to donate pet food or care items for shelter animals.
- "Peg + Cat" food drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate boxed and canned goods for food banks in Central Arkansas.
- "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" Sweater Drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently used sweaters for families in need as cooler weather approaches.
- Arkansas Grade-Level Reading Campaign book drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently read books for ages 0-8 years.
Donations are not required to participate in Family Day activities.
AETN Family Day Conway 2013 is sponsored in part by the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce and Petit Jean Meats.
Enjoy these activities throughout the day
- Children are encouraged to dress as their favorite PBS KIDS characters. Each child in costume will receive a prize from the AETN booth.
- Adults and children may participate in a Bob Ross lookalike contest at 1 p.m. Winners will be chosen by audience applause, and first, second and third place prizes will be awarded.
- PBS KIDS characters Daniel Tiger from "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood," Martha from "Martha Speaks," Clifford the Big Red Dog, Arthur and the Cat in the Hat.
- AETN production truck demonstrations and tours.
- Interactive PBS KIDS exhibit in the AETN atrium.
- The Conway Police Department will be passing out child ID kits.
- Arkansas Arts Center 2013-2014 Artmobile exhibition "The Art of Story" and pieces from the Young Arkansas Artists exhibition.
- Demonstrations of AETN's online resources, including ArkansasIDEAS, AETN PBS LearningMedia, PBS apps for mobile devices and Next Avenue.
- Building tours.
- Story time.
- Face painting.
- Arts & crafts.
- Sidewalk chalk art time.
- Refreshments, including Petit Jean Meats hot dogs, as well as popcorn and drinks.
Schedule of Activities
- Each PBS KIDS character will appear hourly from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- “Exploring Arkansas” host Chuck Dovish will present his favorite places and answer audience questions at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Story time with celebrity readers:
- Heather Kendrick, host of Conway Corporation’s “Living Local” at 11 a.m.
- Arkansas First Lady Ginger Beebe at noon.
- Jeff Matthews, co-host of The Morning Rush on B98.5 at 1 p.m.
- Adults and children may participate in a Bob Ross look-alike contest at 1 p.m.
- Tours of the AETN studios every hour.