Public Media News March 2013
Posted 08 Mar 2013 12:42pm
PBS online educational resources offer teachers and parents free supplementary materials for the classroom, apps, teacher guides from broadcasts, and other resources, such as PBS TeacherLine. Learn more at pbs.org/teachers and pbs.org/parents.
AETN Educational Services
As an education leader and essential partner, AETN is committed to providing teachers, parents, students and all Arkansans with the support needed to impact student achievement. Learn more about resources available in our key focus areas ArkansasIDEAS, Arkansas Common Core Standards initiative, STEM, AETN PBS LearningMedia, teacher training and workshops, and PBS online resources by viewing the education guide at aetn.org/education/guide.
Spring Break Family Fun Days at the Museum of Discovery
Join AETN and special guests for adventures and activities at the Museum of Discovery! Museum visitors can meet and take photos with the Cat in the Hat Thursday, March 21, and Clifford the Big Red Dog Friday, March 22, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. Visitors are encouraged to dress as their favorite PBS KIDS character to celebrate spring break. museumofdiscovery.org/events An AETN and Museum of Discovery Members Night featuring both characters will be held Wednesday, March 20, from 6 to 8 p.m. Call Dan Koops at 501-682-4131 for details.
AETN Contest Deadlines
Do you know students interested in entering the PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest or "Student Selects: A Young Filmmakers Showcase" film and scholarship competition? All submissions to both competitions must be received by Friday, April 5. For details visit: aetn.org/writerscontest or aetn.org/studentselects.
"Bayou Bartholomew" premieres March 14
Learn about the natural wonder that has the unique distinction of being the longest bayou in the world in "Bayou Bartholomew," an AETN original production. The one-hour documentary, hosted by Chuck Dovish, explains the history of the bayou dating back more than 3,000 years and its contribution to developing the heart of the Delta. Thursday, March 14, at 6:30 p.m.
Free screenings of the Community Cinema film "Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines" will be held at William F. Laman Public Library in North Little Rock Tuesday, March 5, at 6:30 p.m. and at the Fayetteville Public Library Sunday, March 17, at 2 p.m. Details, film information and screening dates are available at aetn.org/communitycinema.
AETN Program Highlights
"Our American Family: The Youngs"
The first half of the 1900s represents the last era of American life that, for most families, began largely unchanged from the generations that came before. This documentary captures the voices of these simpler times and those that followed in the Young family of Mantachie, Miss. Sunday, March 24, 11:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11, 9 p.m.
During this live, call-in program, Arkansas Game and Fish Commission representatives will address small game, deer and duck hunting, as well as hunting safety. Viewers may submit questions by phone, 800-662-2386; email, email@example.com; or via live, on-air phone, 501-852-8426. Thursday, March 21, 7 p.m.
"AETN Arts Fridays"
- March 8: "AETN Presents: On the Front Row With Epiphany," 6:30 p.m., and "Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones Live," 8:30 p.m.
- March 15: "AETN Presents: On the Front Row With Bonnie Montgomery," 6:30 p.m., and "Don Mclean: American Troubadour," 9 p.m.
- March 22: "AETN Presents: On the Same Page With Robin Becker," 6:30 p.m., and "From Dust to Dreams: Opening Night at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts," 9 p.m.
- March 29: "AETN Presents: On the Same Page With Rick Steves," 6:30 p.m., and "American Masters Philip Roth: Unmasked," 9 p.m.
"180 Days: A Year Inside an American High School"
This two-part series takes viewers on an intimate journey through a year in the lives of students, teachers and school leaders in a Washington, D.C., public high school. Monday, March 25, 8 p.m. and Tuesday, March 26, 8 p.m.
"Sid the Science Kid: The Movie"
Sid and Gabriela are thrilled to win a contest to be the first kids to explore the brand-new Super Ultimate Science Museum. However, when the robotic tour guide malfunctions, its up to Sid and Gabriela and other winners to fix the robot and save the museum. Monday, March 25, 10:30 a.m. and Friday, March 29, 10:30 a.m.Arkansas Educational Television Network • 800-662-2386 • www.aetn.org
"Live from Lincoln Center Kristin Chenoweth: The Dames of Broadway? All of em!"
From the small town of Broken Arrow, Okla., Kristin Chenoweth has made her mark on Broadway, TV and film. Watch her "American Songbook" performance, including celebrated work in every genre. Sunday, March 31, 1:30 p.m.
AETN March Program Highlights
- "Super Brain With Dr. Rudy Tanzi," live in studio Wednesday, March 13, 7 p.m.
- "Don McClean American Troubadour," Monday, March 4, 8:30 p.m.
- "Is It Me or My Hormones? With Marcelle Pick," live in studio Tuesday, March 5, 7 p.m.
- "Unearthing the Dream," Wednesday, March 6, 6:30 p.m.
- "Drop 7 Foods, Feel Better Fast With J.J. Virgin," live in studio Wednesday, March 6, 8 p.m.
- "Heart of Perfect Health With Brenda Watson," live in studio Thursday, March 7, 7 p.m.
- "Celtic Thunder: Mythology," live in studio Thursday, March 7, 9 p.m.
- "Love for Levon," Saturday, March 9, 10:30 p.m.
- "Protect Your Memory With Dr. Neal Barnard," live in studio Saturday, March 16, 4:30 p.m.
- "Cooking On the Wild Side" marathon Sunday, March 17, 2:30 p.m.
"Call the Midwife" marathon, Season 2 premiere
Refresh your memory with a "Call the Midwife: Season 1" marathon just in time for the second seasons premiere. Then, rejoin the midwives of Nonnatus House in 1958 for Jennys birthday and patients complicated cases. Sunday, March 31, from 3 to 6 p.m. and 7 p.m.
> Public Media News
> Public Media News March 2013