Do you know Arkansas students in grades K-3 who tell tall tales, perfect their poetry, weave fascinating plots or could be among the next great American novelists? Be sure to tell them about the AETN PBS Kids Writers Contest!
The AETN PBS Kids Writers Contest is an initiative designed to promote the advancement of children’s literacy skills through hands-on, active learning. Join us in encouraging your little authors in grades K-3 to celebrate their creativity by submitting their own original stories and illustrations!
AETN PBS Kids Writers Contest entries will be judged on:
- Creative Expression
- and Integration of Text and Illustrations
Each Arkansas entrant will receive an AETN prize pack, and first place winners will be given the opportunity for Clifford the Big Red Dog to visit their school or to visit Clifford in Conway with their class and take a tour of AETN studios.
How to Enter:
Arkansas students may submit their stories by mail to AETN through Friday, April 1. Winners will be announced in May and will be featured on aetn.org/writerscontest. For your convenience, you may download and print a contest entry form at aetn.org/kids/writerscontest.
- Entrants must be children in kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
- Only one entry per person.
- Must be a legal resident of the 50 United States.
- Sing author submissions only (no co-authoring).
- Pieces may be factual, fiction, prose or poetry.
- Word Count:
- K-1st grades must have a minimum of 50 words and a maximum of 200 words.
- 2nd-3rd grades must have a minimum of 100 words and a maximum of 350 words.
- Title page words do not count toward word count.
- Children may dictate their story to be printed.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
- Non-English text must be translated.
- Stories must have at least five original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art may include drawings, collages, and 3-D art or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the pack of each page.
- Each entry must include the official AETN PBS Kids Writers Contest entry form with required signatures.
Entries must be received by Friday, April 1, 2016.