AETN > Engage > Pressroom > AETN Family Day 2016 set for Saturday
AETN Family Day 2016 set for Saturday
Posted 20 Sep 2016
The Arkansas Educational Television Network will host Family Day 2016 – a free public event to encourage community spirit through family-friendly fun and entertainment, educational activities and community service drives – Saturday, Sept. 24, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the statewide network headquarters, 350 South Donaghey Avenue, Conway. AETN is proud to be celebrating 50 years of public media in Arkansas and will mark the occasion with the theme 'Peace, Love & AETN,' traveling back in time to the 1960s when AETN first went on the air.
Special guests for the day include Walkaround Cookie Monster and Walkaround Elmo of Sesame Street. Children are invited to meet and take photos with the characters.
In an effort to give back to the community, AETN holds community service drives during Family Day to collect items for local charities. Donations are not required to participate in Family Day activities, and all collected items will be distributed to neighbors in need free of charge.
Drives at this year's event include:
- 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Sweater Drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently worn sweaters for families in need as cooler weather approaches.
- Project Homeless Connect. Attendees are encouraged to donate first aid kits, cotton swabs and baby wipes to benefit the Community Action Program of Central Arkansas.
- Books for Christmas. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently read books for CAPCA's Christmas food boxes.
Additionally, AETN has planned free activities and entertainment for the entire family:
- Kids will have the opportunity to have photos made with other PBS KIDS characters, including Daniel Tiger, Curious George, The Cat in the Hat and Clifford the Big Red Dog.
- Brock Entertainment will provide a soundtrack from the 1960s to today for a festive block party atmosphere.
- Children are encouraged to dress as their favorite PBS KIDS characters or in 1960s attire. Each child in costume will receive a prize from the AETN booth.
- Adults are invited to dress as their favorite PBS personality from the past 50 years or in 1960s attire.
- Demonstrations with the AETN production truck and meet and greet with 'Exploring Arkansas' host Chuck Dovish.
- Cooking demonstrations with Chef Steven Brooks, host of 'Cook With Brooks,' coming to AETN in 2017.
- Story time, including celebrity reader Lt. Gov. Tim Griffin at 10 a.m.
- Inflatable bounce houses, super slide, bungee run and obstacle course.
- Health and wellness screenings, fun physical fitness activities and giveaways with Conway Regional Medical Center, Beard Chiropractic and others.
- Screenings from the AETN Video Vault, featuring episodes from the past 50 years and sneak peeks of upcoming programs.
- Arts and crafts.
- Tours of AETN's facilities.
- Face painting.
- Emergency vehicles.
- Sidewalk chalk art time.
- Popcorn, cookies and drinks.
Local food trucks will be on hand for additional food and snacks.
Additional information and the most current schedule of activities are available at aetn.org/familyday.
The Arkansas Educational Television Network is Arkansas's statewide public television network that enhances lives by providing lifelong learning opportunities for people from all walks of life. AETN delivers local, award-winning productions and classic, trusted PBS programs aimed at sharing Arkansas and the world with viewers. AETN depends on the generosity of Arkansans and the State of Arkansas to continue offering quality programming. Additional information is available at aetn.org. AETN is broadcast on KETS (Little Rock), KEMV (Mountain View), KETG (Arkadelphia), KAFT (Fayetteville), KTEJ (Jonesboro) and KETZ (El Dorado).