AETN Family Day Conway 2011 set for Saturday
Posted 13 Sep 2011
The Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) will host Family Day Conway 2011 Saturday, Sept. 17, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the statewide network headquarters, 350 South Donaghey Avenue, Conway. This years theme is Find Your Inner Superhero.
This is a free public event to encourage community spirit through family-friendly fun and entertainment, educational activities and community service campaigns. AETN will kick off three donation drives during the day:
• Martha Speaks Shelter Dog Campaign. Attendees are encouraged to donate pet food and care items for the Humane Society of Faulkner County foster families.
• Sesame Workshop Growing Hope Against Hunger food drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate boxed and canned goods for the Community Action Program for Central Arkansas (CAPCA).
• Mister Rogers Neighborhood Sweater Drive. Attendees are encouraged to donate new or gently worn sweaters for families in need as cooler weather approaches. The Salvation Army of Conway will distribute the sweaters.
The first 300 families who donate to one of these causes will receive thank you gifts from AETN. Donations are not required to participate in Family Day activities.
In addition to public service projects, AETN has planned several activities and entertainment for the entire family:
• Children are invited to dress as their favorite PBS KIDS characters and join in a costume parade at 11 a.m. The parade will end with a special dedication of Conways own Sesame Street.
• Kindersongs will perform at 1:30 and 3 p.m. Brian and Terri Kinders concerts for kids are lively and interactive. Combining his guitar and banjo playing talents and whimsical song writing skills, they amuse and entertain children of all ages.
• Arkansas children's book author Darcy Pattison will be sharing her new book Prairie Storms. In this lyrical book, readers experience a year of prairie storms from the point of view of native wildlife that must shelter, hide, escape, disappear, endure and withstand those storms. Pattison will be featured in an upcoming episode of AETN Presents: On the Same Page.
• Kids will have the opportunity to have photos made with PBS KIDS characters Clifford the Big Red Dog, WordGirl, the four Super WHY! heroes and The Cat in the Hat.
• Nature walks with Chuck Dovish, host of Exploring Arkansas.
• A chance to meet the 2011-2012 University of Central Arkansas Bears basketball team.
• The Arkansas Arts Center Art 2011-2012 Artmobile Exhibition and pieces from the Young Arkansas Artists exhibition to help kick off the PBS Arts Fall Festival.
• Demonstrations with the AETN production truck.
• Storytelling workshops with AETNs production team.
• Demonstrations of AETNs online resources, including ArkansasIDEAS and AETN/PBS LearningMedia.
• The AETN atrium full of activities, including word games, puzzles and books.
• Emergency response vehicles, including the City of Conway Fire Department, MEMS and the UCA Police Department.
• Career education.
• Story time.
• Tours of AETNs facilities.
• Face painting.
• Sidewalk chalk.
Additional information and a current schedule of activities are available at www.aetn.org/familyday. The event will be held regardless of weather conditions.
AETN Family Day Conway 2011 is sponsored in part by the Conway Area Chamber of Commerce, Petit Jean Meats and Kroger of Conway.
The Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) is Arkansass statewide public television network that enhances lives by providing lifelong learning opportunities for people from all walks of life. AETN delivers local, award-winning productions and classic, trusted PBS programs aimed at sharing Arkansas and the world with viewers. AETN depends on the generosity of Arkansans and the State of Arkansas to continue offering quality programming. For more information, visit www.aetn.org, or follow the AETN blog at www.aetn.org/engage. AETN is broadcast on KETS (Little Rock), KEMV (Mountain View), KETG (Arkadelphia), KAFT (Fayetteville), KTEJ (Jonesboro), and KETZ (El Dorado).