AETN > Engage > Pressroom > AETNs Student Selects 2012 to air Sept. 21, 28
AETNs Student Selects 2012 to air Sept. 21, 28
Posted 11 Sep 2012
The work of Arkansas's next generation of filmmakers will be showcased in Student Selects: A Young Filmmakers Showcase 2012 airing on the Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) Fridays, Sept. 21 and 28, at 9 each night.
Student Selects is an annual event that highlights the creativity and talent of the states kindergarten through 12th grade students. Student Selects offers young filmmakers the opportunity to submit their film and video handiwork for possible broadcast on AETN, streaming on aetn.org and screening at the Little Rock Film Festival. Four $2,500 scholarships, funded by the THEA Foundation, were awarded to graduating seniors in the following categories: screenwriting, directing, cinematography and editing.
- Colors in White, Fayetteville High School A young woman struggles to overcome a life-changing tragedy. Students Emily Webb, Jack Carroll and Harrison Smith won scholarships for screenwriting, cinematography and editing, respectively, for this film.
- Time to Forget, Har-Ber High School, Springdale While running from his past, a young man finds hope in the future.
- Black and White, Conway High School West A dramatic music video revolves around a love story set in a hometown neighborhood.
- Evolution, Malvern Junior High School Follow the path of evolution, with a humorous twist, in this stop-action short that was made entirely with construction paper.
- Whitey's Chicken, Rogers Heritage High School A local philanthropist and sports enthusiast is highlighted in this short documentary.
- Killing Crime, Cabot High School A slapstick comedic short about thwarting an attempted break-in.
- Derailed, Conway High School West A troubled young man finds it difficult to cope with being ignored in this atmospheric film.
- Ratical, Hot Springs High School In this surreal short, humans are at odds with a cunning rodent. Marcus Menefee won the directing scholarship for this film.
- The Kings in Winter, Fayetteville High School Wildlife around the Kings River is the focus of this nature documentary.
- A Midwest Story, Har-Ber High School A documentary about the Har-Ber High School orchestra's involvement in the renowned Midwest music competition.
- Untitled, Springdale High School Abstract music video art set to amorphous electronic music that represents the confusion and emotions surrounding the end of high school.
- Humanimation, T Tauri Movie Camp, Locust Grove A short claymation film about the importance of the Humane Society.
- Mother, Fayetteville High School This film features otherworldly stop motion animation.
- The Search, Homeschool, Little Rock A girl finds guidance on her journey in this short allegorical film.
- The Easy Life of Mr. Rosenauer, Fayetteville High School A short documentary follows the drama instructor at Fayetteville High School.
September also marks the new 2012-2013 Student Selects: A Young Filmmakers Showcase and the Young Filmmakers Scholarship eligibility period. Entry categories include, but are not limited to, documentary, narrative, animation and music videos. A complete list of film credits and information about submission guidelines and entry deadlines are available at aetn.org/studentselects. Entries for 2013 must be submitted by April 5.
Student Selects is airing as part of AETN Arts Fridays, which provides Arkansans with world-class arts and culture programming, including the locally produced series AETN Presents at 6:30 p.m. and additional AETN and PBS arts specials at 9 p.m.