AETN to air special After Newtown programming Feb. 18-22
In an effort to continue the national discussion surrounding the tragedy in Newtown, Conn., the Arkansas Educational Television Network (AETN) will air After Newtown, a series of specials offering insight into how communities can be better protected and served in the face of catastrophe. These specials will highlight issues including public conversation on gun laws, mental illness, the science of detecting violent impulses, community recovery and school security affecting all Americans.
In addition to in-depth coverage on PBS NewsHour, Monday, Feb. 18, through Friday, Feb. 22 at 5:30 p.m. each night, programming featured in the After Newtown series on AETN will include:
- After Newtown: Guns in America, Tuesday, Feb. 19, at 8 p.m. Tracing the evolution of guns in America, this program examines their link to violence and competing visions of national identity.
- FRONTLINE: Raising Adam Lanza, Tuesday, Feb. 19, at 9 p.m. A special episode of FRONTLINE investigates the life of Adam Lanza, the Newtown shooter, and the battle over gun laws and gun culture.
- NOVA: Mind of a Rampage Killer, Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 8 p.m. Special programming explores what combination of circumstances compels someone to commit the most inhumane of crimes, as well as how much science can tell us about brains at risk for violence.
- The Path to Violence, Wednesday, Feb. 20, at 9 p.m. This documentary explores the creation of The Safe School Initiative, a powerfully effective Secret Service program. Social psychologists and law enforcement officers involved in the programs development discuss school safety, parental responsibility and support, adequate mental and legal help, and the national conversation about balance between school safety and civil liberties.
- Washington Week With Gwen Ifill, Friday, Feb. 22, at 7 p.m. Moderator and managing editor Gwen Ifill will feature a segment discussing how Washington lawmakers are addressing the issue of gun control.
- Need to Know, Friday, Feb. 22, at 7:30 p.m. Exploring the ripple effects of a single, fatal shooting incident at a Massachusetts college, this special edition of Need to Know examines the events that continue to reverberate in the community 20 years later.
> AETN to air special After Newtown programming Feb. 18-22