You could be a winner! AETN and PBS KIDS have kicked off the 2016 PBS KIDS Writers Contest, an initiative designed to promote the advancement of children's literacy skills through hands-on, active learning. The contest encourages children in grades K-3 to celebrate creativity by submitting their own original stories and illustrations. Entries will be judged on originality, creative expression, storytelling and integration of text and illustrations.
Each Arkansas entrant will receive a participation certificate, and 12 winners - three from each grade - will receive an AETN prize pack. In addition, first place winners will be given the opportunity for Clifford the Big Red Dog to visit their school or for their class to tour the AETN studios in Conway.
To help students build story ideas, download and print the available worksheets. The activities letter outlines the steps to help students get started with easy to follow objectives.
Previous winning entries are available to inspire children during the brainstorming process. PBS LearningMedia also offers a collection of online resources for parents and educators that demonstrates the elements of story writing to students.
HOW TO ENTER
Arkansas students may submit stories by mail to AETN until Friday, April 1. Winners will be announced in May and featured on aetn.org/writerscontest. For your convenience, download and print the Contest Rules and Contest Entry Form.
- Entrants must be children in Kindergarten, first, second or third grade.
- Only one entry per person.
- Must be a legal resident of the 50 U.S. states.
- Single author submissions only (no co-authoring).
- Fact or fiction, prose or poetry
- Word count:
- K-1st must have a minimum of 50 words, maximum of 200 words.
- 2nd - 3rd grades must have a minimum of 100 words, maximum of 350 words.
- Title page words do not count toward word count.
- Children can dictate their story to be printed.
- Invented spelling is accepted.
- Non-english text must be translated.
- Stories must have at least five original, clear and colorful illustrations.
- Original art can include drawings, collages, and 3-D art or photographs taken by the author.
- Stories must be created on one side of the paper and numbered on the back of each page.
- Each entry must include the official AETN PBS KIDS Writers Contest Entry Form, with required signatures.