AETN > Programs > Leave Me Alone
Leave Me Alone: Bullying
No one wins if someone is bullied.
If you are being bullied, tell an adult that you trust.
Things you can do on your own
- Keep telling yourself that you are a good person
- Learn to be proud of your and other people's differences
- Spend quality time with people that make you feel good
- Help yourself by helping others
- Keep a journal to record your thoughts or feelings
- Draw a picture to illustrate your thoughts or feelings
- Write a song or create a play to share with other kids
- Start a buddy program to help protect yourself and others
- Encourage teachers to ask for assemblies or workshops on bullying.
How to handle the situation
- Ignore the bully. Try to walk past him/her. Go straight to an adult.
- Don't show that you're upset. Don't give the bully the satisfaction.
- If you do respond, do it firmly and evenly.
- Try to spin a bully's comment into a joke.
- Remember the bully has a problem, not you.
- Pretend the bully's comments are just floating away and popping like bubbles.
If that does not work
- Talk to people you trust: parents, adult family members, and friends
- Talk to school officials like a teacher or counselor that you trust
- Talk to someone you trust at your church, or synagogue
- Be direct and clear about your concerns so that you are taken seriously
- Bring family or a friend with you as a witness of a possible encounter
- The Victim, Signs of being bullied, Victim.pdf
- The Bully, Signs that you are bullying, Bully.pdf
- Anti-Bullying Strategy, How to handle a bully, Anti-Bullying Strategy.pdf
- Bully Journal, What to say if you are a bully, journalbully.pdf
- Victim Journal, What to say if you are being bully, journalvictim.pdf
- Rap Lyrics, Words to the rap songs, raplyrics.pdf
- Lesson Concepts, Suggested bullying lesson plans for teachers, lessonconcepts.pdf
- Writing Prompts, Suggested bullying writing prompts, writingprompts.pdf
- Bongo Congo, Description of drums, bongocongo.pdf
- How to Handle Bullies, Teasers and Other Meanies: A Book That Takes the Nuisance Out of Name Calling and Other Nonsense, by Kate Cohen-Posey
- Stick Up for Yourself: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power & Positive Self-Esteem, by Gersgen Kaufman, Lev Raphael, Pamela Espeland
- Why Is Everyone Always Picking On Me, by Kate Cohen-Posey
- Stop Bullying Now! Information, Prevention, and Games stopbullyingnow.hrsa.gov
- School Violence Resource Circle, www.svrc.net
- Positive Change for Schools, www.opheliaproject.org
- A Watch Dog Organization, www.bullypolice.org
- All About Cyber Bullying, www.cyberbullying.org
- Stop Violence Program, www.stop-violence.org
- National Bullying Ambassador for Parents and Kids, www.bullying.co.uk
- Character Education Resource, www.goodcharacter.com
- Bullying Pledge Card, www.svrc.net/BullyingCard.htm